D/Prof James Dale, AO
|Name:||Distinguished Prof James Dale, AO||
|Position:||Director/Distinguished Professor, Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities|
|Qualifications:||BScAgr(Hons), PhD Syd|
|Research Area:||Sugar Research|
|Phone:||+61 7 3138 2819|
|Fax:||+61 7 3138 4132|
|Postal Address:||Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities
Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
GPO Box 2434
Brisbane Qld 4001
Distinguished Professor James Dale is Director of the Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities at Queensland University of Technology (QUT) which incorporates the Syngenta Centre for Sugarcane Biofuels Development, Sugar Research and Innovation (SRI) and Tropical Crops Biotechnology. The CTCB now consists of around 50 researchers as well as postgraduate students. It is a horizontally integrated, multidisciplinary centre focusing on tropical crops with expertise from gene discovery and genetic modification through to biomass fractionation, processing and value adding. Its facilities range from state–of–the–art molecular biology laboratories through small scale biomass processing labs to a major biomass pilot plant.
D/Prof Dale has been involved in biotechnology research for more than 25 years with specific interests in molecular farming for high value proteins in tobacco and bioethanol from sugarcane, the development of disease resistance in genetically modified bananas, papaya and sugarcane and the biofortification of bananas. His research team has developed a range of biotechnology methods and products for expressing transgenes in plants. He has also led research and development programs in the international arena most of which have been based in South East Asia and more recently in Africa.
D/Prof Dale is leading a major international $5 million Grand Challenges in Global Health Project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop biofortified bananas for East Africa. The first GM banana field trials for this project and for disease resistance are to commence in the second half of 2008 in Australia.
In 2008, QUT and Syngenta AG formed a new collaborative centre, the Syngenta Centre for Sugarcane Biofuels Development, based within The Centre for Tropical Crops and Biocommodities at QUT. This centre is staffed by both QUT and Syngenta scientists with the objective of developing economically competitive cellulosic ethanol using genetically modified sugarcane. Prof Dale is leading this initiative.
- James Dale has been a member of the Australian Research Council´s College of Experts (2004–2006)
- and Chair of the Biological Sciences and Biotechnology Panel (2006)
- and has been a member of the Gene Technology Technical Advisory Committee (GTTAC) of the Office of the Gene Technology Regulator (2001–2007)
- and is currently a member of the Queensland Biotechnology Advisory Council, leading the Agricultural Biotechnology Working Group.
- In 2004, he was made an Officer in the Order of Australia (AO) for services to agricultural biotechnology. He is the founder and chief scientific officer of Farmacule Bioindustries, Australia´s first molecular farming company.
Prof Dale has published more than 70 research papers, reviews and book chapters. He an inventor on 9 granted patents or patent applications.
- Dale J., Smith, P. and Bloggs, A. (2007) Research about stuff. Journal of International Stuff Research 23, 43–48.
- Smith, P. and Dale J. (2008) Research about other stuff. International Journal of Other Stuff Research 76, 112–137.
Ten career–best publications
- Dale JL and Peters D (1981) Protein composition of the virions of five plant rabdoviruses. Intervirology 16: 86–94
- Dale JL (1987) Banana bunchy top, an economically important tropical plant virus. Advances in Virus Research 33: 301–325
- Harding RM, Burns TM, Dale JL (1991) Small single stranded DNA associated with banana bunchy top disease. Journal of General Virology 72: 225–230
- Bateson MF, Henderson J, Chaleeprom W, Gibbs AJ, Dale JL (1994) Papaya ringspot potyvirus: isolate variability and the origin of PRSV–P (Australia). Journal of General Virology 75: 3547–3553
- Burns TM, Harding RM, Dale JL (1995) The genome organization of banana bunchy top virus: analysis of six ssDNA components. Journal of General Virology 76: 1471–1482
- Dugdale B, Becker DK, Harding RM, Dale JL (1998) Promoter activity associated with the intergenic region of banana bunchy top virus DNA–6 in transgenic tobacco and banana cells. Journal of General Virology 79: 2301–2311
- Becker D, Dugdale B, Smith M, Harding R, Dale J (2000) Genetic transformation of Cavendish banana (Musa spp AAA group) c.v. Grand Nain via microprojectile bombardment. Plant Cell Reports 19: 229–234.
- Horser C, Harding RM, Dale JL (2001) Banana bunchy top nanovirus DNA–1 encodes the viral “master” replication initiation protein. Journal of General Virology 82: 459–464
- Khanna H, Becker D, Kleidon J, Dale JL (2004) Centrifugation assisted Agrobacterium tumefaciens–mediated transformation (CAAT) of embryogenic cell suspensions of banana. Molecular Breeding 14: 239–252
- Ha C, Coombs S, Revill P, Harding RM, Vu M, Dale JL (2006) Corchorus yellow vein virus, a New World geminivirus from the Old World. Journal of General Virology 87: 997–1003
Patents and Patent Applications
- Dale, J.L., Timms, P. and Walsh, T.P. (Filed 13/02/1990) Detection of a nucleic acid sequence or a change therein. WO 1990/09455; Granted USA (US5856092); Europe (EP0457824)
- Dale, J.L., Harding, R.M., Burns, T.M. and Karan, M. (Filed 30/05/1995) DNA sequences of banana bunchy top virus. WO 1996/038564; Granted USA (US5756708); Australia (AU1995/25570)
- Dale, J.L., Harding, R.M., Beetham, P.R., Becker, D.K., Hafner, GJ and Dugdale, B. (Filed 31/05/1996) Intergenic regions of banana bunchy top virus. WO 1996/038554; Granted USA (US6127604)
- Hermann, S., Harding, R., Dugdale, B., Becker, D. and Dale, J. (Filed 21/09/1998) DNA promoter sequences derived from banana bunchy top virus. WO 1999/015646; Granted Australia (AU 1998/91470)
- Hafner, G, Giffard, P Wolter, L., Dale, J, Stafford, M, Yang, I. and Voisey, J. (Filed 14/12/1999) A method of amplification of a circularised nucleic acid probe. WO 2000/036141; Granted USA (US6830884).
- Dale, J., Dugdale, B., Hafner, G., Harding, R., Becker, D., Hermann, S. and Chowpongpang, S. (Filed 28/03/2001) A construct capable of release in closed circular form from a larger nucleotide sequence permitting site specific expression and/or developmentally regulated expression of selected genetic sequences. WO 2001/072996; Granted Australia (AU 2001/243939)
- Hermann, SR, Harding, RM and Dale, JL (Filed 28/12/2001) Banana actin gene and its promoter. WO 2002/053744
- Harding, RM, Becker, DB, Yang, I, Hafner, G, Dale, JL. (Filed 17/07/2003) Transcriptional control element, chimeric constructs and uses thereof. WO 2004/007729
- Dale, JL and Pereza Echeverria, S. (Filed 23/09/2004). Banana resistance genes and uses thereof. WO 2005/028651
- Smith GR, Candy JM, Dale JL, Harding RM (2008) In: Characterization, Diagnosis and Management of Plant Viruses. Vol.1: Industrial Crops (G.P. Rao, S.M. Paul Khurana and S. Lenardon, eds). Studium Press, Texas USA.
- Becker DK, Dale JL (2004) Transgenic Crops of the World: Essential Protocols 131–143
Recent Journal Articles:
- Ha C, Coombs S, Revill PA, Harding RM, Vu M, and Dale JL (2008) Journal of General Virology 89: 312–326
- Ha C, Coombs S, Revill PA, Harding RM, Vu M, Dale JL (2008) Archives of Virology 153: 25–36
- Ha C, Revill P, Harding RM, Vu M, Dale JL (2008) Archives of Virology 153: 45–60
- Peraza–Echevveria S, Dale JL, Harding RM, Smith MK, Collet C (2008) Molecular Breeding 22: 565–579
- Herrera–Valencia VA, Dugdale B, Harding RM, Dale JL (2007) Archives of Virology 152: 615–620
- Khanna HK, Paul J–Y, Harding RM, Dickman MB, Dale JL (2007) Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 1048–1054
- Burns P, Geijskes RJ, McQualter RM, Dale JL, Harding RM (2006) Virus Genes 32: 43–47
- Dietzgen RG, Callaghan B, Wetzel T, Dale JL (2006) Virus Research 118: 16–22
- Harding R, Burns P, Geijskes R, McQualter R, Dale J, Smith G (2006) Virus Genes 32: 43–47
- Ha C, Coombs S, Revill P, Harding RM, Vu M, Dale JL (2006) Journal of General Virology 87: 997–1003
- Herrera–Valencia VA, Dugdale B, Harding RM, Dale JL (2006) J Gen Virol 87: 3409–3412
- Revill PA, Trinh X, Dale J, Harding R (2005) Journal of General Virology 86: 491–499
- Revill PA, Jackson GVH, Hafner GJ, Yang I, Maino MK, Dowling ML, Devitt LC, Dale JL, Harding RM (2005) Australasian Plant Pathology 34: 327–331
- Sawangjit S, Chatchawankanphanich O, Chiemsombat P, Attathom T, Dale J, Attathom S (2005) Virus Research 109: 1–8
- Walker TL, Becker DK, Dale JL, Collet C (2005) Journal of Applied Phycology 17: 363–368
- Walker TL, Black D, Becker DK, Dale JL, Collet C (2005) Journal of Applied Phycology 17: 495–508
- Geijskes RJ, Braithwaite KS, Smith GR, Dale JL, Harding RM (2004) Archives of Virology 149: 791–798
- Khanna H, Becker D, Kleidon J, Dale JL (2004) Molecular Breeding 14: 239–252
- McQualter RB, Dale JL, Harding RM, McMahon JA, Smith GR (2004) Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 55: 139–145
- McQualter RB, Burns P, Smith GR, Dale JL, Harding RM (2004) Archives of Virology 149: 713–721
- Revill PA, Ha CV, Lines RE, Bell KE, Vu MT, Dale JL (2004) Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology 12: 27–32
- Yang IC, Hafner GJ, Revill PA, Dale JL, Harding RM (2003) Archives of Virology 148: 1957–1968
- Yang IC, Hafner GJ, Dale JL, Harding RM (2003) Archives of Virology 148: 937–949
- McQualter RB, Smith GR, Dale JL, Harding RM (2003) Virus Genes 26: 283–289
- Revill PA, Ha CV, Porchun SC, Vu MT, Dale JL (2003) Archives of Virology 148: 1523–1541
- Yang IC, Iommarini JP, Becker DK, Hafner GJ, Dale JL, Harding RM (2003) Plant Cell Reports 21: 1199–1206